Thursday, August 28, 2014

Creative Team Article on Buttons for Scrapbooking Memories - Vol 16 No. 12

Hi everyone....hope you're all having a great week!
 
Today I'm going to share a couple of projects that were part of my CT article for Scrapbooking Memories that was in issue Vol. 16 No. 12.  The article was on the good ol' humble button....and the many ways of using & altering them.  It covered things like : covering with washi tape, stamping on them, painting with paint & crackle paint, heat embossing & also using patterned paper
under a clear button.
 
 
"Reaching 50"
 
My first project was a layout....that features quite a few buttons. They are included in my clusters, form a bit of a feature strip along the bottom of the photo, joined together with twine..... & they're also scattered across the page.
 
 
 
Here you can see one that I've heat embossed (the lemon/black one).
 
 

And in this cluster there is one that's covered in washi :)
 
 

 
 

& 3 buttons tied together with some twine
 
 

 
 
And below is a pic from the magazine that also featured some close ups of the buttons that I altered
 
Bottom L to R - 3 washi covered buttons,  3 painted in crackle paint, 3 heat embossed buttons & 3 clear buttons with patterned paper adhered underneath. 
The top 3 buttons are stamped with Stazon ink.
 


 My next project was a canvas....
 
"Family Tree"
  

Using a variety of different coloured, & sized, green buttons....which form the leaves of the tree.
 
I first prepared the background of the canvas with gesso & texture paste that I randomly spread so that the canvas wasn't so "flat" looking....and without adding too much texture that would distract from what I wanted to feature - the buttons that formed the tree.
 
 
 
The chipboard piece is 2Crafty - Floral Branch....and I cut off the all the little flowers so that I then had the trunk & branches to form my tree.
 
 
 
Floral Branch
This is the 2Crafty Floral Branch piece before I cut it up & altered it
 
 

To get the texture in the trunk & branches, I added a HEAP of modelling paste & then dragged the prongs of a fork through it to give the look & texture of bark on a tree - I've used this technique before & love how it's turned out both times...I think it looks very real & life like :) 
I then painted it brown with mist sprays
 
 

The little verse on the canvas reads:  "May the roots of your family tree grow deep and strong"
 
My little canvas now hangs proudly in my scrap room <3
 
 
I hope you've enjoyed the basics of my article....if you'd like to read more, I'm sure a back copy of Vol. 16 No. 12 would be availabe if you searched online.
 
Thanks so much for dropping by!  xx
 

6 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

Love this Linda!! Your layout is stunning as always and the tree is fabulous too!! Absolutely looooveee what you did with the buttons ... totally gorgeous!!! ox

Lizzyc said...

These look wonderful.. I must admit I have stopped buying the SM mag so thank you for sharing your feature.. I love the buttons incorporated into your layout and I never would have guessed how to cover in so many ways.. love the family tree too.. I have bags and bags of buttons, I really should just add a few to each layout every now and then!!

Lizzy Hill said...

I really enjoyed your button article...& the altering thereof! They really do look great & can feature so easily......I'm guilty of flair-ing before I button these days [hiding head in shame!!!]....

Denise van Deventer said...

I have been following all your articles in the Scrapbooking Memories....they are really awesome! Love your buttons projects...especially the layout! Gorgeous design, colouring and just fab! ;-)

Val-Belle said...

I am so pee'd off that we are not getting these mags here anymore. It was the only hard copy mag I was buying and we havent been able to get for three or four months now :( What a fab article. I hardly ever use buttons. Never thought to alter like this. I may just be inclined to get them out now ;) fab layout and canvas.

Lynette Jacobs said...

Beautiful page Linda. You were so creative with altering your buttons. I love the button and twine row below your photo. Gorgeous family tree canvas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails